Monday 8 March 2010

Winter until Spring Equinox?

Something struck me today: what if the snow doesn't disappear before spring equinox? I know that the Wheel of Brigit Ana that I follow is modelled on the British climate, and ours isn't the same. Far from it. In Glastonbury, Spring Equinox pretty much marks mid-spring, whereas here, in the north, we are lucky to have spring. Actually, most years we do have spring well under way by the 21st/22nd of March, but there are years when the snow and bitter winter cold don't arrive until February, and it's been twice in the last decade that the snow lay until just before Easter.

I crossed the soccer pitch across the street yesterday, and realised that there's almost 4 inches of ice on top of it, from when the snow melted and then refroze, and almost as much snow on top of the ice. Making it very hard to walk. And the snowdrifts from the ploughs... we're talking meter high and more in places. It'll take forever for them to melt!


When I was younger, we often had the first snowdrops in the garden around my birthday, in mid-January! This year, climate change has shifted the winds around the North Pole, giving us northern winds and an unusually cold and long winter. I don't like it. I really, really, REALLY want spring now...




No comments: