Wednesday 3 September 2008

You can't get too many blessings

A couple of weeks ago my youngest brother got married. He's an agnostic but with influences from Buddhism and Christianity (pretty hard not to have since we were raised in a Protestant environment), and his wife an active Christian of the good kind. You know, openminded, loving and not dogmatic.
As a blessing, I gave them their own flame of love, based on the Flame of Avalon, Rhiannon's power and the flames that burned on the main altar during their wedding ceremony. Blessings and similar things come naturally for me on my Goddess path, and as a priestess, but I've had some concerns about how to do it in a more Christian environment. Not everyone would understand, as there is a definite lack of blessings in Protestatism, save the ones from the Bible. It is a very different thing to do in my everyday environment. But for my brother, it felt like the right thing to do.

And it was. It made them both happy, and my brother's comment was that you can't get too many blessings, which I though was wonderfully true in its simplicity. Of course we can't. To have other people standing by you, and know that their love and support is there in times of need, and at all other times, is amazing. And no matter how much love there is, things do get rough every now and then, a marriage doesn't safeguard us from problems or challenges along the way.

It was a step for me, but as a (self-initiated) Priestess, this is what I do. This is who I am. And it is time to Be now.

No comments: