Tuesday 12 October 2010

Bye bye, Blondie?

So, for a few months I've been blondish, in an attempt to get back to my natural blonde and a challenge to stay blonde for a while. I started dying my hair when I was 15, so for 21 years I've only gone back to my natural for perhaps a year at the longest. Even though I am far blonder than I originally thought (I always think I'm this boring, mousy darkish not-blonde-not-brown-not-really-anything), I tend to end up feeling very blah, boring and invisible in my natural colour. Let's face it; I'm a natural blonde but that's all that's blonde with me. I'm not a blonde in any other way.

But still, from time to time I try to go back to find the natural colour. It would be so much cheaper and easier and better for my hair if I could settle for natural, but it never lasts. Part of me really wants to be this nature child, who's just… well, natural. But I'm not. I'm a nature child in other ways, that is in my connection to nature, but I'm very apparently not a nature child as in staying natural in hair and lack of makeup and so on. So why deny who I am?

Which means, I guess: Bye bye, Blondie!

2 comments:

Elle said...

I was quite taken aback when I saw pictures of you as a blonde. It looks great on you and your Swedish heritage really shines through. But at the same time it didn't look like it was wholly you. Like there was something missing.

Maybe try more natural dyes like henna or Naturetint in order to be more natural (although you may do so already). I really liked using brown henna but my hair is so long and it was so messy and such a long process that I couldn't bear to keep doing it. Loved the results though! It looked really soft and natural!

Lisa said...

Interesting that you should say that, Elle, as I was looking at the most recent photos (two of which I've posted on Facebook) from a magazine shoot, and they are really good pics of me, but I don't feel like they look like me. Not completely.

I've used Naturetint before and most likely will again, although this time it was a regular, supermarket dye. Henna, unfortunately, doesn't agree with my hair at all.
xxx