Monday 11 October 2010

Mysteries of the Journey

Have you ever thought about how, sometimes, we start out together on a journey to a common goal, but that our paths diverge and differ, and that we arrive at the goal at different times, even though we may have taken the first step at the exact same time? I find this fascinating, and sometimes a bit frustrating, as the reasons for the differences in the journeys are not always within our control. Of course there are reasons for the different journeys we end up taking; we all have our personal journeys to make, our challenges to meet and overcome, our resistance to deal with. There is a reason for everything that happens on the journey, from the ease of the first step, the windings on the road, the crossroads and the choices we have to make there, to the people we meet, and so on.


It's like we start from the same place with the same destination in mind, perhaps even the same intention to reach the destination, but that we end up buying our tickets from different travel agents. Asking for the same route, you get an express ticket, whereas I get a slightly longer route that will require me to change my transportation along the way. We will both get to the destination, but at a different time. I may feel slightly envious and puzzled as to why you got the express ticket; don't I want to get there as fast as possible too? don't I have the same desire to reach that destination as you do? Why does the Divine/the Universe do this to me? But I forget that I will get there in the exact right time.

Then it turns out that your express route was apparently subject to roadwork, there are obstacles ahead, and your transportation is rerouted and delayed. Now you may wonder why you are being stopped from reaching your destination, when the road looked so smooth and direct to begin with. Thus forgetting that the stops are there for a reason, for your best.

Eventually, we both reach our destination, at the exact right time, and with the exact right experiences from the journey. Perhaps we have learned to trust the journey, and that we all have our own specific journeys, whose timing is always perfect for us; but then again, we might forget until the next time. I try to remind myself that no matter what anyone else's journey looks like; my journey is my own and can't be compared to yours. Of course, I sometimes get jealous when someone gets to their destination way sooner than me, or seems to have a smoother journey, and I can even beat myself up over it, wondering what I'm doing wrong or why I'm being held back like this. But more and more often, I manage to remember that we have our individual journeys without even having to think about it. Less frustration, more flow, and I can actually sit back and enjoy the journey, intrigued to see what surprises it will bring to me. So sit back, relax and enjoy the journey.

Happy travelling!

3 comments:

Elle said...

Of course, the flip side is those who are on the express journey may be envious of something you're experiencing on the scenic route. :)

Lisa said...

Good point, Elle! Have to agree with that. A longer journey means I probably get to meet more fascinating people. Funny how it took me a couple of years to get to the realisation that I will arrive in perfect time…

Elle said...

That's quite right, you will. :) I think you're picking up a lot of valuable learning along the way which you're going to find totally enhances things when you get to where you want to be. But of course, as you well know, even when you arrive, it's just the beginning of a new journey. :P