Wednesday 14 October 2009

Short Dark & Tribalicious report

Time is slipping through my fingers, and writing is sadly one of the things I have to put on the backburner at the moment. In order to minimise stress, I try to stay away from the computer when I'm not actually working. No computer = no blogging, as I haven't yet figured out how to blog from my phone. I use it for facebooking and twitting, but as for blogging, it seems that Blogger doesn't support phone blogging from Sweden. Yet.

This past weekend's Dark & Tribalicious workshops and show were simply AMAZING! Incredible teachers and dancers, and I am so inspired to keep working harder and striving to improve my technique so I can express what I want to express. My goal with the dance, like with all my creative endeavours, is to touch people; to make them feel. I don't want to just perform a series of steps and moves; I want the moves to express my feelings, my soul. I'm still far from being at a technical level where I feel that I can do that, but bit by bit, step my step, shimmy by shimmy I'm getting closer.

I'm in awe of Ariellah, Asharah, and Morgana - for their talent, creativity, feeling, ability to reach out, their teaching, and because they are incredibly beautiful, warm women. Ariellah's master class was a challenge, but I didn't feel lost and confused, and even the advanced dancers thought it was difficult. Hey - if you never exposed yourself to challenges and did something that seemed just a bit too difficult; how would you ever evolve?
Asharah's "Dancing your demons" class took us on a deep, inner journey; to ask ourselves the crucial question "Who am I?" to connect with our shadow side, with our demons - the parts of ourselves we normally keep out of the light, and to bring all emotions into our selves and our dance in order to be authentic. For me, authenticity is crucial in order to touch people; I have to bare my soul to be true. No pretenses, no masks on stage. I loved it, and it gave me a whole new perspective on what I really want with the dance. I am beginning to discover how I connect certain moves to certain feelings, and when I find that connection, I need to remind myself to write it down. I'm all inspired to start digging into my creativity, to dig deep into myself and just open up - which seems to be in keeping with Samhain approaching. Let's stir that cauldron of transformation and jump right into it!
Morgana's "Pride & Lust" workshop was something totally different. The first half was all about turning and spinning; both useful and a bit dizzying ;) In a crowded studio, the spinning becomes a challenge, as you have to constantly stay in control of your own body and everyone around you. The second part was a burlesque choreography; starting from old school burlesque (think Moulin Rouge and Berlin cabarets in the 20s) and moving onto a very fast, jazz-inspired modern burlesque (think Las Vegas). Unfortunately, I think I may have forgotten most of the superquick last bit, but the first half or so is still there. Anyway, a good challenge and just so much fun to work with a style that is quite different to what I normally do.

I felt that the workshops connected tribal fusion bellydance to the world of Dance in general, and to my dance and improv background - everything from using ballet terms for the positions (thank you, Asharah for making that connection!), to yoga and Pilates work, to drama/improv excercises, to jazz... I am so inspired now and just really set to work harder and practice more. I am devoting more and more time to dance, and if I keep it up like this, soon I won't have time to work anymore. Working creatively just brings me such immense JOY that I want to focus more on that. It is also a way of touching and working with the divine that gives me so much in return.

The fact that I could do these workshops at all, after just 8 months of dancing, is all thanks to my teacher Callisto, and proof of how good a techer she is. And it was wonderful to see how she, Gita and Cissi all held an very high international class in the show. Sure, I have a dance background, but that was 15 years ago, and I never thought, when I stepped into that studio in February, that I would be caught up in the same joyous, creative whirlwind of dance again. Or that I could ever make progress like I have. Kudos for that! I mean, me and my rigid, blocked hips... But I am getting there, although the quick shimmies and shimmy layering are still tricky as I feel like I have to constantly talk my hips into opening up the blocks and the locked energy. Perhaps it is time to have some energetic bodywork done in order to open up and heal the underlying issues once and for all, and reclaim that part of my body and power as well.

I guess I really have to find a matron of the arts, who can support me while I journey to my creative centre and follow my soul...

No comments: